Frugal recipes - Easy, Mixer Ice Cream
Small can (185 ml) evaporated milk (lite version works too)
75g icing sugar, sifted.
Flavouring of your choice: eg
1. LEMON: ½ tsp finely grated rind, 1 tsp juice
2. ORANGE: 1 teaspoon juice, 1 tsp grated rind
3. COFFEE: 1 teaspoon powdered instant coffee
4. BANANA: 1 banana pureed in blender or processor.
5. STRAWBERRY: 250g punnet strawberries, pureed.
6. MINT RIPPLE: Add 2 drops oil of peppermint, swirl 50g melted chocolate through after pouring into tray.
Place metal cake pan in freezer to chill.
Put can of milk in pan of water, bring to boil, simmer 15 minutes, allow to cool, then chill in fridge.
Pour into bowl of electric mixer, whisk on high speed approx. 5 minutes till thick and fluffy. Add sugar and flavouring, whisk 10 seconds till mixed in.
Pour into chilled container and freeze till firm. Then transfer to a storage container with lid.
I have made all the above versions except the mint ripple.
The coffee one doesn't seem to set as firm as the others, but if you like coffee as I do, makes a delicious iced coffee mousse.
Comment from kate
These sound delicious to me. I love ice cream but the really good flavours are so expensive now, it’s ridiculous.
I love coffee ice cream too and mousse is even better so I won’t mind if it not set hard like ice cream at all. I can’t wait to try it for myself. But I will have to find a cheap mixer as I don’t have one at the moment and I don’t think I could hand whisk for 5 minutes. But I’m sure I will be able to pick up a second hand one somewhere, perhaps even free on my local free cyclers network.
Did You Like This Page? Why Not Let me know.