Save On Phone Bills
With these Telephone Bill Busting tips.
Save on phone bills all year round with my frugal tips
to save money.
It has become easier and easier over the years to reduce your telephone
bills as there are now so many more service providers and ways to make
So I thought I would put together a little selection of my favourite
ways to reduce those phone bills.
Land Line Calls
- Avoid using coin-operated phones as they cost a lot more than a
fixed home line on a contract.
- Obviously reducing the amount of time you are talking will also
help to reduce the cost of your bills, so keep those calls short.
However if you like a good natter there are several things you can
do to save on phone bills:
- Always try to call during the low rate discounted periods; these
are generally during the evenings and at weekends. Check with your
phone company when your discounted times are.
- Make sure you are on the best calling plan with your company. If
you know who you make the most calls too and how long you spend on
the phone a month, it is often possible to arrange with your phone
company special rates for those numbers and they will also be able
to advise based on your monthly usage which call plan is right for
- If you work from home on a regular basis it is worth noting that
some if not all of your business calls can be deducted from your yearly
It is therefore important to arrange with your service
provider to have itemised bill sent to you so that you can use it
as proof. Check with your revenue service what sort of calls can be
deducted from your telephone bill and make sure you make a note of the calls you make.
- If you are going to be away from home for an extended length of
time, it is always advisable to check with your telephone company
to see if they can suspend your service for this period of time. This
way you will not have to pay the monthly standing charge or at the
very least you may be able to pay a reduce rate.
- When you take out a contract with a service provider make sure you
are not paying for any services you don't use. Often services are
bundled together, thee can include, call barring, ex directory services
and answer phone services. It is always worth checking with your provider
what is actually included in your plan and if services can be removed
to reduce your bill.
Long Distance calls - Save On Phone Bills
Long distance rates vary all the time, not only from place to place
but also from time to time. In fact they can change all the time.
if you regularly need to phone long distance it is bets to try and make
some savings by following these tips.
- Find out the cheapest time of day or day of the week to call your
- Look into dial-around numbers (10-10 numbers) to find long distance
service providers with cheaper rates than your existing telephone
- If you are calling a family member who is a long way away, see if
you can put there number on your friends and family list to get cheaper
rates. This may require both parties to sign up to the same plan but
hey then you will both be saving.
- Find out if your long distance call to a business has a 0800 number
- Look for international pre paid cards to your destination. There
are hundreds now available, so shop around to find the best rates.
You don't actually need to have a landline any more to make calls.
As more and more people are becoming connected to the Internet and have
home computers, it is now possible to make calls via your computer using
a microphone. Making calls this way is very cheap indeed and are advertised
as free but of course you are using your broadband connection, so there
is a cost involved there.
- You need to find out who of your friends and colleagues are able
to use this pc to pc calling. You can even introduce them to a service
to help them save on phone bills too.
- There are several services available who will enable this kind of
calling to be made, such as:
Choose the best service for you and your circle of friends to save
on phone bills.
Cell Phone Savings
Cell phone calls and price plans are generally far more expensive than
landlines, but it is easy to save on phone bills with these tips:
- If you use your mobile phone a lot than shop around for the best
plan that gives you free texts or minutes or both.
- If you are on a budget opt for pay as you go, that way you will
not be tied into a lengthy contract
- Make sure you are with a service provider who offers the best price
per minute. The prices can vary quite a lot. Don't be fooled by those
cheap monthly contracts if the cost per minute is high.
- Avoid the temptations of downloading ring tones or wallpapers to
your phone all the time. They are costly and will soon eat up your
- Avoid using the mobile phone on holiday abroad as these calls can
be amazing expensive.
- Make use of your cell phone timer if you have one, most do. This
is a little bleep every minute or so and keeps you in mind of just
how long you are talking for, this will help limit your call time.