Save On Gas Bill
Follow These Energy Saving Tips
This save on gas bill page is a list of all the things you can do to reduce your gas usage and avoid those quarterly bills turning your hair white or worse putting you into debt.
Over the last few years the cost of fuel has risen and risen and unfortunately our wages have not. In fact now many people are becoming afarid to turn on the heating when it gets cold.
Although there is not much we can do as individuals about the cost of gas we can reduce our usage and make changes in our homes which will lower our dependancy on gas.
These frugal heating tips are designed to help you reduce your gas bills both in the short and long term.
Tips To Help You Save on Your Gas Bills
- Close doors and windows in unused rooms. Why waste heat, instead concentrate your heat to the areas you use. You will discover that you can have the thermostat lower as the heat is trapped in a smaller area.
- Make sure that holes and gaps around your home are filled. Gaps in floorboards or around windows and doors will allow heat to be lost from your home.
Use flexible floor sealant to seal gaps in the floor boardsWindows can be covered in thin plastic insulating sheets during the winter.Plastic door strips can be placed around door frames
- Turn down the thermostat to your hot water. Around 110 f to 120F is quite enough to provide hot water when needed.
- Have short showers rather than long baths every day. This will reduce the amount of hot water to be heated.
- This may sound rather expensive at first but you will really notice the difference in your bills in the future.
Insulate your roof space with the thickest insulation you can afford. The thicker the better. Because heat rises the roof space is one of the main areas where a lot of heat is lost.
- Install a programmable thermostat. This will enable you to make sure that your gas boiler is only working when it is really needed. You can also set it to reduce the temperature at different times of the day, so you can wake up to a nice warm house but are cooler but comfortable during the nighttime.
- Replace old gas appliances with new A rated energy saving devices.
- To save on gas bill make sure your gas equipment is checked yearly to make sure that it is working at its optimum best. Often you can take out an inexpensive policy with your supplier to include this yearly service. This will not only ensure that your boiler is safe but that you won't be faced with a big bill if it breaks down.
- If you have a gas cooker only use it for big meals. It is far more cost effective to use a microwave to heat up smaller items.
- Always cover cooking pots on the gas stove. This will allow the food to cooker quicker and so use less gas.
All these little frugal heating tips will soon add up over the year and could save you hundreds of $/£ a year.
UK Residents - Save On Gas Bill
Making sure you are the best tariff for your home and area is easy to check if you live in the UK. uSwitch.com allows you to easily check to see if you are paying too much for your gas and if so who can supply it cheaper for your area.
It really is worth the few minutes to do this to save on gas prices and I would recommend that you do this at least twice a year in this very competitive market.
USA Residents - Save On Gas Bill
The ENERGYGUIDE.com provides a similar service in the US to find out the cheapest suppliers in your area. It also allows you to heck your usage of energy in your home to allow you to make any changes that could save you money also.
Did You Like This Page? Why Not Let me know.
Home > Saving Money
> Gas Bill